Ryan represents construction clients in the prosecution and defense of claims in state and federal court, including actions for delay, liquidated damages, loss of use and defective work. His construction practice includes extensive experience with mechanic’s liens, stop notices and prompt payment remedies. He has served as lead litigation counsel for owners of large-scale commercial construction projects and represented national title insurance companies and banking institutions in litigation involving the priority and enforceability of mechanic’s liens.
With respect to real property matters, Ryan regularly represents real estate professionals throughout California, and provides frequent counsel on contractual issues, claim avoidance and alternative dispute resolution. He defends real estate brokers and agents against claims involving breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation, fraud and professional negligence. He also represents commercial developers, community associations and other owners in complex litigation involving encumbrances, boundary claims and encroachments.
In his real estate transactional practice, Ryan routinely negotiates and documents commercial leases, purchase and sale agreements, license agreements, construction contracts and other related project documents for regional and national tenants, including a wide variety of franchisees, restaurant companies and transportation carriers.
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 2004
- University of San Diego, B.A., 2000
- The State Bar of California
- All Courts of the State of California
- All Courts of the State of Arizona
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- United States District Court, District of Arizona
Published Opinion and Professional Recognitions
- Wood v. Superior Court of San Diego County (2020) 46 Cal.App.5th 562 [discussing application of attorney-client privilege]
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV Preeminent” Rating
- Selected to San Diego Magazine’s Top Lawyers List for Real Estate in 2020
Memberships and Activities
- California State Bar
- Arizona State Bar
- Alumni Barrister, American Inns of Court, Hon. Fiorenzo V. Lopardo Chapter
- California Real Estate Broker