AREAS OF PRACTICE
Business & Commercial Litigation Professional Liability Defense Strategic Litigation & Risk Management
J.D., University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, 2005
B.A. with distinction, History, Yale University, 2002
Brad is a business lawyer. For over a decade, he has represented businesses – from Fortune 100 companies to start-ups and individuals – in a broad range of commercial litigation matters, including consumer class action defense, business torts, and shareholder and partnership disputes. Brad also frequently advises businesses on risk management matters and contract issues. In addition to his business law and complex commercial litigation practice, Brad also has extensive experience representing regional, national, and international law firms in complex professional liability litigation, as well as representing healthcare entities in litigation, including payor-provider disputes, insurance bad faith, and cases involving ERISA, the Medicare Act, and California’s Knox-Keene Act. Known for his analytical skills and practical advice, Brad brings a problem-solver’s approach to the table whether the challenge is in handling risks posed by litigation or in assisting with a client’s strategic business goals.
- Represented national law firm in professional liability matter where plaintiffs sought over $30 million in damages. Case settled favorably mid-way through arbitration.
- Obtained dismissals of multiple consumer class action lawsuits filed in federal court against one of the largest consumer electronics companies in the world. Plaintiffs alleged claims based on product defects, false advertising and unfair business practices. (758 F.Supp.2nd 1077; 801 F.Supp.2d 1013.)
- Defeated class certification in a reported federal case where plaintiffs challenged the premium rating process used by a national health insurance company to determine renewal premium rates for insurance policies. (266 F.R.D. 340.)
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit against Fortune 100 insurance company where plaintiffs alleged insurance bad faith, breach of contract and unlawful conduct. The dismissal was upheld in a reported decision by the California Court of Appeal. (194 Cal.App.4th 192.)
- Defeated a preliminary injunction motion in a trade secrets dispute where the plaintiff sought to shut down one of the nation’s largest organic produce growers and distributors.
- Part of trial team that won a $65 million judgment for a client in a case involving allegations of securities fraud and breach of contract.
- Defended an international law firm in a professional negligence action arising from the firm’s prior representation of plaintiffs in a multi-million dollar real estate deal.
- Successfully defended an international law firm in a professional negligence action alleging eight-figure damages arising from purported transactional malpractice. The matter ultimately settled for a fraction of what plaintiff originally sought.
- Prevailed on a motion to dismiss a federal lawsuit alleging, among other causes of action, civil RICO claims against a prominent San Diego law firm.
- J.D., University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, 2005
- B.A. with distinction, Yale University, 2002
- All Courts of the State of California
- All United States District Courts for California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Memberships and Activities
- California State Bar
- San Diego County Bar Association
- San Diego Defense Lawyers
- Association of Business and Trial Lawyers
- Yale Club of San Diego, Board of Directors
- Barrister, American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Chapter